Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Why this pastor doesn't believe in God.

Belief is a funny thing.  We teach our children to believe in mythical creatures and people who give money and presents for assorted things.  There's nothing wrong with teaching our children to believe in fantasies as long as they grow up later to learn the truth.  We also teach our children to believe that they can be anything.  I'm all in favor of dreaming big and accomplishing big things but our 5'8" child who hasn't grown in 3 years can't be, no matter how much they believe in it, the starting center for an NBA team.  Belief definitely is a funny thing.

The thing about believing in something is that there is always a chance that what you are believing in will not be real or will not come about.  Belief is about taking a 50/50 shot at something being real or true.  Your beliefs can ultimately let you down if you believed in the wrong thing.  How many people have believed that their marriage would never end?  How many have believed that a particular treatment would work? How many have believed in things like these only to be destroyed when their beliefs ended up on the negative side rather than the positive side?  Many have.  More than we could ever imagine.

It's this downside that made me recently think about why I shouldn't believe in God.  If I believe that God is real then that means there is a 50/50 chance that He isn't real.  Meaning that I could walk into eternity head held high only to be devastated because He's not there.  Please don't think that this pastor has completely abandoned his faith.  The realization I've come to is that I shouldn't believe in God because I know God is real.

I have spent plenty of time around my dad.  He's taught me things about computers, farming and life for which I am eternally grateful.  He's talked to me.  He's fussed at me when I was disobedient.  He praised me when I was successful.  At times he's been silent and let me go my own route, for me to only find out I should have asked him what I should have done.  My dad has been an ever present figure in my life for the past 34 years.  I have no doubt that my dad is real.  I talked to him yesterday.  I know he is real.

I have also spent plenty of time around my heavenly Dad.  He's taught me things about life for which I am eternally grateful.  He's talked to me.  He's disciplined me when I was disobedient.  He's also praised me when I was successful.  At times He's been silent and let me go my own way, for me to only find out I would have been better off to ask Him for guidance.  He's been present in my life from before I was born.  I have no doubt that my heavenly Dad is real.  I even talked to Him today.  I know He is real.  That's why I don't have to believe in Him.

If you enjoyed today's post be sure to Share it on Facebook and Twitter so others can be encouraged too!

No comments:

Post a Comment