Monday, April 28, 2014

Don't Live a Distracted Life

This past week our family took some time to get away. We spent the week at the NC Baptist Assembly's retreat at Fort Caswell. It's an awesome place that God has definitely anointed, but that is a discussion for another blog post. One morning I returned from my morning walk and sat down at the table to eat breakfast with my sons. When I sat down I pulled out my devotional & Bible study material along with my Bible so I could read while eating breakfast like I do at home. It didn't take me long to realize that this task would be much more difficult than it is at home. One son was watching TV on his tablet while the other was playing an annoying sounding game on his tablet. If you know me you know that I don't deal well with distractions while trying to focus. I struggle to focus, especially on reading, if there are a lot of noises and distractions going on around me. I struggled through my devotional. I persevered through my Bible study. But when it came to my daily Bible reading, I couldn't go on. I had to give up. I knew that I would not be able to accomplish what I hoped to do because there were too many distractions around me.

In this world we have plenty of distractions that vie for our attention on a daily basis. Work, family, kid's sports, finances, TV, relationships, books, Facebook, Twitter, and the list can go on and on and on. There can be plenty of noise around us that can distract us from what should be our primary focus. Our primary focus should be God and what He is doing in our lives. I don't mean what is God doing in our lives to make it more comfortable and make life easier for us. On the contrary. We should be keyed in on what God is doing to conform us to the image of Christ. Simply put, we should be paying attention daily to what God is doing to change us from a rotten and sinful person into a reflection of His perfect and sinless Son. It's easy to get distracted and miss what God is trying to do in our lives. The problem is that too many believers only look for what God can do in their lives during a one hour period on Sunday mornings. What happens when they allow travel ball, sunny days or the lure of the lake to distract them from worship on many Sundays during the summer? They live an even more distracted life because they aren't seeking God's transformation in their lives daily.

God's goal for us is to make us more like Christ. Our goal for ourselves should be for us to be more like Christ today than we were yesterday. The only hope we have attaining to either goal is to be sure we don't live a distracted life. The only way to do that is to be focused on God daily.

If you enjoyed today's post be sure to Share it on Facebook and Twitter so others can be encouraged too!

No comments:

Post a Comment