Monday, December 9, 2013

What do you reach for first?

What do you reach for first thing in the morning?  For many, myself included, it is a pair of glasses.  But I mean what do you start your day off with?  Thanks to a dear friend I used to work with, many mornings I will reach for a cup of coffee to get my day started off right.  This morning I couldn't help but notice, as I sat in my recliner reading the Bible, that in both hands I had things that seem to be a necessity for my day to to start off well.  In one hand I have this cup of fuel for my body that will wake me up and prepare me for the day.  In the other hand I have this fuel for my spirit that will wake me up to what God is sharing with me and prepare me for the day ahead.

Psalm 119:105 says "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path" (NIV).  We live in a dark world where we need the light of God's Word to help us navigate and avoid falling in the darkness.  I hope you are daily reading the Bible so God can speak to you and so you can grow in your faith.  If you aren't today is the day to start.  At this time of year many people will put off starting a new routine until January 1st to make a fresh start in the new year.  My suggestion would be to start reading the Bible now so that when January 1st rolls around its an established habit and won't be added to the dreaded New Year's Resolution Failures list.

My hope is that you will build in time in your day where you can consistently sit down and read the Bible.  For people like me who relish the early morning hours, that is a great time to do it. For others, like an older pastor friend of mine, the late night hours is what works best.  It may be on your lunch break or while you sit in the car rider line at school, but God's children need to hear from their Father daily.  But one of the biggest deterrents to Bible reading is a lack of consistency.  People feel like because they missed a day or two that they can't do it so they just give up.  Don't get discouraged if life happens and you aren't able to get into the Word on a particular day.  There are times when pastors even fell to get in the Word for personal Bible study from time to time because, here's a shocker, we are human too!  The important thing is to build in that time where you regularly read the Word and if it doesn't happen to work one day you can always pick back up the next day.  So if you don't already have a set time during the day for reading the Bible set a time up today to start.

Let's make this thing interactive again.  Leave a comment below letting others know when your time in the Word is each day.  You never know, your answer may help others figure out what works best for them.  And if you don't already have a set time let us know what time of day you plan to make your time for the Word.

If you aren't sure where to start reading or would like some help with putting together a Bible reading plan I will be glad to help you.  Just email me at pastornick@northcatawbabaptist.com and I will be glad to help you out.

If you enjoyed today's post be sure to Share it on Facebook and Twitter so others can be encouraged too!

No comments:

Post a Comment