Wednesday, December 18, 2013

God, Bigfoot, and an Optical Illusion

During a recent message preparation God showed me something that I want to share with you today.  Now I realize that as it says in Ecclesiastes 1:9 "there is nothing new under the sun," but to me this was new.  The question that came through my mind was "How big is your God?"  I thought for a moment and thought about all the usual "Sunday School Answers."  He spoke and created everything, He parted the Red Sea, He raised Jesus from the dead and so on.  I found my self to have a fairly big God.  But the question nagged me.  I couldn't help but wonder what God was trying to tell me.  As I considered the question I had one of those "Aha!" moments where the truth of God hits you like a lightning bolt.  The answer to the question is all about the optical illusion of perspective.

Dru, Cooper and I, yes I'll admit it, like to watch a show called Finding Bigfoot.  These people go to areas where there have been reported Bigfoot sightings and try to track one down.  One of the things they regularly do is try to get an eyewitness to give them some type of size comparison of what they saw.  Sometimes they reference a tree branch or fence post.  Other times they have one of the Bigfoot researchers to stand in as a comparison.  One thing you notice is that the closer they were to whatever they saw the bigger and better the comparison is.  But if they were far off from it then their comparison isn't as accurate.  This same effect happens to us when we consider the size of our God.

If we are really far away from God spiritually then we have distanced ourselves from God.  We see Him as small and incapable of working in our life.  Our perspective is distorted all because of our distance from Him.  But if we are close to God spiritually and daily drawing close to Him then all we have in our view is this big God we serve.  When we are close to Him and He is all that is in our view we can easily see Him working in our lives.  Our perspective of Him is perfect.  It's like standing in front of a wall with your nose almost touching it.  All you can see is the wall.  Everything else is out of your view.  This puts new meaning to James 4:8 where it tells us "Come near to God and he will come near to you" (NIV).  When we draw near to God, He is the only thing in our view and that is the way it should be.

I encourage you today to check your perspective of God.  If you have a small view of God then chances are you aren't where you need to be spiritually.  Don't go another minute without making your relationship with Him what it needs to be.  If God is all you can see then stay as close to Him as you possibly can.

If you enjoyed today's post be sure to Share it on Facebook and Twitter so others can be encouraged too!

No comments:

Post a Comment