Monday, March 5, 2018

The Integrity of a Stoplight

There has been several months of road construction on the route I normally take from my house to the church. The construction has resulted in delays at times, but nothing too severe. One change I have noticed since construction started is the adjustment of the stoplight in the construction area. I believe the timing of the light has been adjusted to compensate for the construction and to allow a better flow of traffic on the road that goes directly through the construction area. The road I use to get to church intersects this main road at this newly adjusted stoplight. I have noticed recently that it takes longer for the light to change when I am sitting in traffic. This isn't because of my impatience but instead a careful examination of how long it takes for the light to turn. Needless to say, the additional time required to sit at this light has caught my attention.

This past Sunday when I was headed to church I pulled up to this light and I was the only person in line. I thought since I pulled up that hopefully a sensor would cause the light to turn green and I'd be able to head on to church. Well, that isn't what happened. I sat there at the light for what seemed like an eternity waiting on the light to turn green. The part that frustrated me was that there was absolutely no traffic on the road besides myself. I sat at the light for a very long time waiting on the light to change and it seemed like it never would. I thought to myself, "There isn't a soul around. No one would know if I turned left on red and went on my way. There isn't any danger of causing an accident because no one else is on the road." Reluctantly, I stayed the course and eventually this light turned green and I was able to go.

Now I could have safely turned left on red and no one would be the wiser, right? Wrong. I would have known and God would have known. But would it have really mattered? I mean come on, it was a stoplight with absolutely no traffic around. Of course it would have mattered. It was ultimately a test of my integrity. When no one would know about our choices but us, what we are faced with in those moments is a matter of integrity. Integrity is defined as a "firm adherence to a code of moral values." It is the idea that something is incorruptible. I think the famous basketball coach John Wooden's quotes on character help to define integrity even better. He said, "The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching." The things we do, the way we act, and the things we say when no one is around is a real test of our integrity. If we are willing to compromise our integrity in the small things of life (a stoplight), then what will happen when major events (persecution for your faith) require us to stay the course and be a person of integrity? Chances are we'll buckle under the stress of the situation because we haven't disciplined ourselves to be men or women of integrity. In a society that is constantly putting more and more pressure on us to compromise our morals and our values, we need men and women of integrity that will not compromise, but instead hold firm to their integrity. If we want to see a change in this world we need to model for our children and those following us, what it means to be a person of integrity, regardless of the situation. It means doing what is right, not what is easy. It means committing to a life of integrity long before you pull up to the stoplight. It means pleasing God by living a life that adheres to His standards in an unwavering manner.

I will close with this. Commit today to living a life of integrity. Regardless of how easy it is to compromise at times, commit yourself today to living a life pleasing to God by living a life of integrity. You'll be glad you did when you can look back on your life and see that you were a man or woman of integrity when no one else was looking.


If you enjoyed today's post, be sure to Share it on Facebook and Twitter so others can be encouraged too!

No comments:

Post a Comment