Monday, February 1, 2016

You can't do it alone.

Recently we've had to repair some doors in our barn. Anyone who has livestock can tell you how hard animals are on barns. The proverbial "bull in a china shop" comes to mind. Livestock weighing nearly half a ton aren't exactly gentle when it comes to their movements in a barn. We had a door torn off the hinges and had to rehang the door. We had another door that had to be changed to better accommodate our current needs. The only time I had to do this work was on Fridays which are my day off from the church. With my dad at work and the boys in school, I was left to do the work solo. The first door (pictured to the right), wasn't too bad but I could have used some help. I placed some blocks under it drilled new holes for the screws holding the hinges up and we were in business. But another door was a whole other story. I had to work on the supports and do some other work. But while I had the door in position trying to drill new holes for the hinges it slipped off the blocks holding it up. Normally that wouldn't be too bad except the fact that my foot was beneath this 75 pound, solid oak door when it fell. Fortunately it didn't break my foot but it did give me an unexpected break from working. While I was checking out my foot, I couldn't help but say to myself and the cows, "I can't do this alone. I need some help." Contrary to my frustration-filled comments I was able to get the door hung by myself. It didn't go as smoothly or quickly as it could have. It wasn't as fulfilling as working alongside my dad or as joyous as teaching my sons how to do the work but I did accomplish what I set out to do. I did the job but I did it alone.

One thing we need to realize about this life is "You can't do it alone. You need some help." Yes, there are plenty of people who use brute strength and awkwardness to get through life, just like I did hanging that door. It can be done. But like hanging the door alone there is much that you miss out on when you do life solo. To live life without a relationship with God is difficult. To miss the blessings that God gives and see them as coincidence or luck is to miss the heart of the giver of good and perfect gifts (James 1:17). There is no source of strength during times of weakness. There is no one to thank when provision is received. You can't experience a friend that sticks closer than a brother (Proverbs 18:24). There is no fulfillment found in doing things with the Father. There is no joy found in the teachings of the Son. Difficult probably doesn't do justice to describing a life lived without God. But the wonderful thing is that life doesn't have to be lived alone. Life can be lived in fellowship and communion with the God of the Universe. He wants to have a vibrant, love relationship with you. How do I know? Because the Bible tells us. The Bible tells us that God sent His Son, Jesus Christ, to die on a cross, so we can have our sins forgiven and receive eternal life. It even tells us that while here on earth, God wants to give us a life like we never imagined. John 10:10 tells us the type of life Jesus came to give us. It says, "I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly" (NKJV). But the only way to experience that abundant life is by having a relationship with God through Jesus Christ. When you have that relationship, you'll realize that you can make it through this life because the One you need to help you is right there with you.

If you've never started a relationship with Jesus Christ then I encourage you to do so today. You can find more information about how to start a relationship with God through Christ at www.northcatawbabaptist.com/salvation or by emailing me at pastornick@northcatawbabaptist.com.


If you enjoyed today's post be sure to Share it on Facebook and Twitter so others can be encouraged too!

No comments:

Post a Comment