Monday, July 13, 2015

Time to Clean Up Your Act

There are a few things you can usually find people doing when it's 95 degrees and sunny outside. Swimming. Sunbathing. Washing a car. This past Saturday I took the time to wash my truck and my wife's car. While I was washing Misty's car one of our teenagers from church walked up to talk to me. We chatted for a few minutes and towards the end of our conversation he made a comment that caught my attention. He said, "I guess I need to go home and wash my 4Runner." Now this mundane comment probably could have gone unnoticed in a conversation but I realized something in that moment that relates so well to our spiritual life. Whether we like it or not our actions have a direct impact on those around us.

The only reason this young man thought about washing his own vehicle was because he saw me washing mine. Whether I realized it at the time or not, my actions were having a direct impact on this young man. We've all seen this happen in life where people are encouraged to do good and bad based on the actions they see in others. Call it peer pressure. Call it influence. Call it what you will, but in the end our actions impact others.

When it comes to the way we live out our faith in front of others, our actions can have an impact, good or bad, on those around us. Ephesians 5:15-16 says “Be very careful, then, how you live — not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.” We have one shot at this life and it's important, when it comes to matters of faith, that we make the most of every opportunity. Especially when we realize how our witness and actions impact others. When others see us cleaning up our life, they will want to do the same. When others see us praying over our meal, it will encourage them to do the same. When others see us making God a priority, they will look to do so as well.

Our actions leave a lasting impression on those around us. Our kids. Our friends. Our family. Our co-workers. It's vitally important that we take every opportunity we can to leave a positive and faith-filled impact in the lives of those individuals. Look for an opportunity today to live out a great Christians example in the lives of those around you.


If you enjoyed today's post be sure to Share it on Facebook and Twitter so others can be encouraged as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment